9 August 2010

Back from Exmoor


Hiya! I'm back again! Went on a little trip to England, Exmoor to be precise, for a week, to celebrate my parents' 30th anniversary. All five of us, and my other half, and my brother's other half, and my sister's friend and neighbour, hopped into two cars and drove all the way out to France, took a boat, drove on into England, and headed to the far, far West where the hills are steep and the grass is greener than you can ever imagine. I miss it. I want to go back. Can I go back? Pleaaaase?

We stayed in a small inn, run by two amazing people and their crazy little dog, named Huckleberry Finn. Or Huck. Or 'oy, crazy dog'. Oh, and their house ghost named Hazel, who moved stuff around and locked and unlocked doors.
It is stood in a small town right in the middle of Exmoor National Park, called Brompton Regis, where you stumble across gorgeous views or landmarks with every step you take.

Also, there were sheep everywhere. That is, everywhere but in this picture, although I could have sworn there were sheep there when I took it...

"I don't think we're in the Shire anymore, mister Frodo!"

Sorry. I've been channelling my inner hobbit all week, hard to knock it off...



We saw castles. Lots of castles. Well-kept ones, broken down ones, castle ruins so far gone you needed a lot of imagination to see how grand they must have been, castles that hadn't even been standing there for a century, castles that were still inhabited and I don't mean by ghosts or bats...

We brought the moustaches with us and made new ones during long car-rides. They were a big hit. We had a laugh with them everywhere we went. So did the people we 'stached while stuck in traffic. (We even caused a bit of an accident, a driver wasn't paying attention because he was laughing too hard... luckily nobody got hurt)

We marvelled at the craftsmanship of the people living hundreds of years ago. These are the Tarr Steps, a man-made bridge put there in, presumably, the early Middle Ages. It may not look like a lot of work, but those top stones must weigh a ton! Imagine building it! Really impressive to stand on.

We found the most gorgeous little flowers perched in between gigantic rocks, on the side of the road, between weeds and underneath bushes. I had a blast fidgeting with my camera to get unusual shots like this one.


We tried being the Terrible Tourist but failed miserably. "Let's all get in this phone cell!" "Yaaay!" "Now take a goofy picture!" "Yaaaay!" "This place smells really bad!" "Ewwwww!" *everyone piles out*

But mostly, we just enjoyed the gorgeous views everywhere.

Like here, at the top of the cliffs at Tintagel Castle.

Or here, at the Valley of Rocks, where we climbed up on the hills and took some of my favourite pictures of this holiday.


Aaahhh....

And now we're back home again. And all we have left to remind us of this trip is the 800+ pictures I took, the GINORMOUS pile of laundry we brought back, the memories, the stories...


And a big, huge, enormous pile of Cadbury chocolate and home-made fudge.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great trip. I'm off to Dartmoor at the end of the month - sort of the same area-ish. Probably.

    I bet you could make acrylic monsters by the way. They'd be great for kids because they'd be washable and, erm, rugged.

    Go on... you know you need a monster army!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, everyone needs a monster army! I just think the acrylics my grandmother gave me might be a bit too rugged for anyone to cuddle with.. Plenty of other yarn left though, I might just have enough to create an invasion of monsters. We'll conquer all, muhahaha!

    And Dartmoor is right underneath Exmoor, and equally beautiful! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see you made it to Cornwall which is, after all, the most beautiful part of England. Could you guess that I was born there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never would have guessed :P I loved our little trips into Cornwall, though it was much more crowded and touristy than any of the other places we visited. I can understand why, though :)

    ReplyDelete