4 November 2010

Just some random bits of blogging

My wrist has gone AUCHPOPAUCH again. How, I don't know. Why, beats me. All I know is that I can't make any sudden movements, such as not move my fingers at all and keep my hand perfectly still. Or something. Any way, this means I'm bored out of my mind because I can't give in to urges such as use my purty new yarn to crochet fingerless mitts or hats (no, not fingerless hats, just hats. which basically, if you really think about it, are also fingerless.).

So I'll keep you guys entertained with something I've been working on for at least two weeks now. Two whole weeks. Keep that in mind.

It's impressive, let me tell you that.

Ready?


Oh yes. I've been knitting again. One needle full of impressive, difficult... stockinette stitch. See that bit of blue in the bottom corner? Two rows below that is the edge. I kid you not. It took me about two weeks (I'll admit, not two weeks of non-stop knitting of course) to get this far in.

Conclusion: knitting is so slooooow compared to crochet! Unbelievable! It's such a shame that crochet fabrics don't look as neat as knitted fabrics do (the reason I'm learning myself to knit) because it takes AAAAGES!

If I ever finish this, though, it'll be a little purse or pen case or needle case or something. It needs to be big enough to hold all my crochet needles and normal needles and measuring tape, so thankfully, not too big at all.

(also, I might be lying about the not knowing why my wrist went *pop* again. It might just be because of the knitting.)

Crochet-wise, I've been making a tiny, little, but useful, thing for a swap on the We Love Lucy-group on Ravelry but as far as I know, the package hasn't arrived at its new owner yet so I won't spoil the surprise yet.

Grandma loved the pillow, by the way. And with 'loved' I mean 'adored it and apparently showed it to every single person in the house that came to visit for her birthday and stalked me on the phone for a week because she wanted to thank me again because she was so impressed'. And no, I don't mean stalked in a bad way, it's my grandma! We just kept missing each other's phone calls for a week.

I did end up getting her on the phone though, and we talked about crafts for a good 10 minutes. One of her more memorable quotes: "I never thought you'd be one to pick up crafts like crochet or knitting! You never were interested in it when you were younger!" which gave me a good chuckle since she did try to teach all of us to knit, but we never were very interested. (probably because it's so SLOW)

---

In other news, autumn came peeking round the corner and decided to hang out for a while. It's getting colder (another reason I resent the fact that I can't make those fingerless mitts) and you all know what that means!

Purty leaves all over the place!

---

Also, I've picked up this book, The Small Hand by Susan Hill, yesterday and I got to tell you, it's really nice! I almost just bought it for the amazingly gorgeous cover, but the story, an old-fashioned ghost story set in a reasonably recent time (it's not really specified as far as I'm aware) and I love a good ghost story.

---

Meanwhile, I've been listening to a lot of Dutch singers lately (don't know why, they're just really really good!) and I've got some Spotify-links to share with you. Listen. Love. Really.

- Lisa Lois - Smoke
- Caro Emerald - Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor
- Laura Jansen - Bells
- (I think this one is more interesting for Dutch readers, since they sing Dutch lyrics. Still, it's a good cd, if you like 'kleinkunst'!) Jurk - Avondjurk

And really, if you don't have Spotify, go get it, it's awesome. AWESOME I say.

---

There. Enough random bits and ends. I'll go and make a cup of tea now.

4 comments:

  1. It must be delightful to connect with your grandmother on the crafty level! Neither of my grandmothers knit or crochet (and as a result, none of the women in the next generation down knit or crochet, in my family), though they are all happy and enthusiastic for me. :-)

    I absolutely love to crochet, but I'm seriously gearing up to learn how to knit. I look forward to seeing just how sloooow it is... there are so many lovely things to knit out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really one of the reasons I want to learn to knit properly! I love the structure of a knitted fabric and how it looks, and it has so many possibilities! I mean, so does crochet of course. But it looks different. I love crochet for accessories, for example, but I don't like the look of a crocheted garment.

    And it was really kind of special! She was so excited when I gave her the pillow, and she told me how great she thought it was that I picked up crocheting and knitting because I just wanted to :) I never realised she was kind of disappointed that none of her grandchildren or children picked it up and were as active with it as she was (unfortunately past tense, she can't see that well anymore and has to be right in the sunshine or under a bright light to be able to see some stitches and that hurts her eyes...) so I think she's excited that she's got someone to hand down the family knitting secrets and techniques and yarn to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your wrist feels better soon. Your knitting looks good. My knitting turns out horribly. Maybe one day i will learn properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your article. you can visit my website spotify for students

    ReplyDelete