21 November 2011

Lifechanging decisions

I've got some important news to share with all of you. No, I'm not pregnant. Just want to get that out of the way first.

I've decided, after several months of thinking and deliberating and discussing and bouncing ideas off of the BF... That come January 2012, I will be a fulltime freelance translator. I've quit my job at the bookshop, the 29th of December will be my last workday there.

It is, quite possibly, the scariest, most influential decision I have made in the past, oh, two decades, maybe. (that was a joke. I'm 23. Haha.) It took me months to realise that trying to freelance in my spare time while working 15 hours a week wasn't going to work: I was passing up jobs, not taking chances, purely because I had those 15 hours a week to fall back on. If I want to really be a translator, build a career on this, then I have to take this leap. And it's a giant leap, and I'm still mid-air at the moment, but I've already left my safe haven and am soaring, and we'll just have to see how I'll land. I'll stop now before this analogy takes a nosedive.

(Sorry. Couldn't help myself.)

So. Now you all know what's been gnawing at me for the past few months! I guess all that's left is some shameless self-promotion!

If you're looking for a translator (Dutch-English or English-Dutch), an editor or a writer, visit my website, www.stefanieweber.nl, and send me an email!

We'll go back to our regularly scheduled nonsense next post. I've got a WIP on the hook, and some cooking malarkey to show you, and a forest trip that I took a ton of pictures of that deserves its own post, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I know a lot of people who have part time jobs but are too worried about giving them up to pursue their real career dreams so it's really good you've gone and done it! It might be hard at first but I really think you'll do well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on taking this huge decision! I wish you all the best of luck, you'll do brilliant! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck.. I know you'll be glad you did this.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your brave step in to translation, I'm sure it will go well. I wonder if you'll end up translating any children's books?! Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete